Jul 13, 2007

Dear God: Will you sign my permission slip?

As many of you already know, I've spent most of my time in the last 10 days waiting for that ever ellusive Saudi Arabian stamp on my passport that allows me, the crazy single unaccompanied American Muslim woman, to make pilgrimage to the holy cities. In these last hours of waiting, I've decided to go against my better judgement and post a bunch of intellectual vomit out of frustration.

Here the thing that get's me the most: what the hell do they think us American Muslim women are going to do in the holy cities? I mean seriously people, do we look like the kind who would throw a rave within the compounds of the Mecca? Or maybe we'll just go crazy and start hijacking cars and driving them around in circles?! Woo.

The irony of this whole situation is that hundreds of single women from India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philipines, fly without male gaurdians to Saudi Arabia every year - to serve as nannies, cooks, cleaning ladies, etc. etc. So apparently, it's perfectly ok to let women travel as long as it's for underpaid labor. God forbid that a woman try to to fulfil any sort of religious obligation or aspiration without a male gaurdian. I mean, please that is just uncalled for. How dare we think that we are able to independently worship our lord without the help of mighty men, to keep our wild spirits in check... I mean astagfirullah sister.

6 comments:

lauren said...

Oh Jenani, I'm so sorry. It's true - the distinction between the unaccompanied nannies, cooks, etc and those wanting to engage in their own religious pursuits is the real icing on the cake. If you were traveling for the purpose of serving someone else instead of for your own religious betterment that would clearly be okay in their eyes, and that is very, very wrong. So there. I have also expressed my frustration on the internet!

jenani said...

aww thanks Lauren :) now when are we getting together to discuss ur trip to yemen and hjabi fashion?

Unknown said...

you shoulda just lied and said you were gonna be cooking/cleaning for the group that you were travelling with....if i were a woman...that's what i would do.

Bono Junooni said...

hahahaha that's kind of funny - the comment about the cooking/cleaning for the group. Never thought of that, but I'd love to see how they'd try to get themselves out of giving you a visa then.

Have patience my dear. The government will answer for this to the greatest of Judges. They will answer for the thousands of women just like you they have denied permission. I prayed for you a lot at Hajj, that Allah brings you to visit Him and His Beloved soon. I am confident my prayer was heard and will be answered. Inshallah.

jenani said...

I hope your prayers are answered soon as well Junooni. :)

M. Imran Abd Ash-Shakur Rana said...

Jenan, you're going to kill me, but here are a couple points:

1) If what you say about single, unaccompanied women is true; then that's absolutely tragic and difficult to justify. I'm sorry to hear this and can completely understand your anger at such a system. It doesn't seem consistent, does it? :(

2) Having said that, I don't think it's completely wrong what they did in the following respect: If I was a father, I wouldn't be happy with allowing my daughter to travel by herself without the satisfaction of having a man (related by blood; or a husband) there to protect her. Sure, you might be in a group and all, but it's not the same thing. I personally wouldn't have that peace of mind. Is that our ego talking? Is that some sort of bizarre cultural emotion? I don't know and I obviously can't be entirely separated from that point of view in an objective manner, I suppose. If a man is entrusted to protect his daughter/wife, then that man should in fact be there for her especially when they're going for an extended trip. I dunno...just some thoughts, but I've obviously never been in this position where I have a daughter/wife that'd want to go. An interesting question for SunniPath. ;)

3) Keep in mind that I'm Punjabi.

4) Don't hate me.

5) Look on the bright side: Clearly, Allah did not want to sign the permission slip at this point in time for "X" reason. That reason is so beyond us, but inshaAllah I pray that for your love and desire to go to get closer to Him, that he rewards you 100 times over the reward of actually going. Having that emotion is pretty tight and inspiring. May Allah facilitate this opportunity for you soon. Allah huma sali Allah Muhammad. Ameen.