Sep 9, 2007

Along the Peshtigo River

The stars were crowded in the sky, miles of flowing black velvet studded with twinkling jewels. I stared up at Cassiopeia through the car window, her imperfect jagged "w" shined brighter in this sky. When we finally found our cabin, it was almost midnight. There are no street lights in these parts, and in the shadow of a moonless sky, it was near impossible to read the small street signs.


And then I heard it. As soon as I stepped out of the car, the sound of the gushing Peshtigo, whispering secret messages to the stones in its path. It's the kind of sound that could fill anyone with wonder. It was a constant calming sound, like the rhythm of dhikr mending a broken heart.




We spent the day white water rafting on the Menominee River, some forty minutes away from our cabin. (another entry on the actual rafting experience will follow...) Upon our return, it was time to explore the area around us, so we set out hiking along the Peshtigo.


The path was uncarved, slushy and unpredictable. Some areas were dense with over grown tree roots, slippery leaves, and rocks covering most of the sleek path. Ocassionally there were clearings on the banks, with large stones that could sit on. I came across such a clearing, and stopped to spend some time sitting on the river bank. I just stared at the water, fascinated by it's movement, the way it weaved through the rocky river bed. I don't know how long I sat there, however I do know that they were some of the best moments I've had in a long time.

1 comment:

andalusian said...

OOOHHH!! jenani how did it go?? how was rafting? i am so jealous...i really wish i could have gone...when this STUPID exam is finally over...perhaps.. :) happy ramadan!!