May 19, 2010

Real Vacation: Day 2, Bio Bay

Ok, so continuing yesterday's saga...

After our discovery of the Muslims, Ali and I came home, changed and headed to the bio bay. Ok so what exactly is the bio bay? Well its this teeny tiny organism that is in the water, like hundreds of thousands of them. And in the dark, they glow on contact. According to our guide, there's about 300 - 700 thousand of these lil' guys in a gallon of water!

So, Mosquito Bay (they call it that for a reason) - is a protect environment, so the only way to take this tour is through kayaks or an electric boat. We decided to be brave and go with the kayaks. Now I was nervous, I mean me and Ali on one kayak? The guide assured us that it would not be an issue... so off we went.

There were about 14 of us, all couples. We parked our cars in the beach parking lot, and then loaded up in a van. It took us about 20 minutes to drive to the bay. There was no paved road, just dirt, the forest, the pot holes, and us. Once we got to the bay, we loaded up in our kayaks and starting making our way to the center (and deepest) part of the bay.

Mosquito Bay is about 8 times more saltier than the regular ocean. And you could smell it right when you get there. The evening began to become darker by the time we got to the center of the bay. Now I was really nervous. I mean, I love to swim. But swimming in an ocean full of creatures in the dark, is a whole other story. But I couldn't resist, so eventually I jumped in. And I'm SO glad that I did. There's no way to describe this experience except to do it! You're in the water, its pitch black, and everytime you move you're arms of legs, the water around you glows. It really glows! (Google the pics of it and you'll see, it actually looks like that!) What's more amazing is when you lift your arm or chest just slightly above the water, you see them individually - it'll tiny glowing specs all over you!

Now getting back on the kayak, well that was not so fun. It took all my strength PLUS Ali pushing my butt to get me back on that stupid thing. But finally, I was on, and we paddled back to shore.

It was a bit scary, but totally worth it! Totally.

1 comment:

Nashsho said...

Hey Jenan.
I am really enjoying your travel diary of sorts. I get to vacation vicariously :) About the bio bay...maybe that's where J.C. got the idea for Avatar...that must have been too cool.
--N.W.