Jul 1, 2009

Stuck in a moment

Alright, so I've yet again decided that it is time for me to write. And write often. The last year has been one of those moments I just got stuck in. The routine became more than a routine, it became a lifestyle. Wake up at 5:30-6:00am, drive to the south side where Ali would drop me off at the Red line before heading to his school, then I would take the train to Greek town where the IFYC office is located. Listening to my ipod, I hoped to get a seat every morning, so that I wouldn't have to stand for the 30 minute ride into the city. In the evenings, Ali would get off of school at 4:00pm and come get me around 5:30pm. Then we would sit through rush hour traffic until we got home about an hour later. Needless to say, I never have much energy to do anything on weeknights anymore.

Makes you tired just reading about it doesn't it?

Well, today was one of those mornings. I was sitting in the third car of the train and looking out the window to the jammed expressway when an unexpected song began to play in my ears. It was "These are the days" by 10,000 Maniacs. I was instantly transported to my A.P. English class, senior year at Carl Sandburg High School.

It was the first day of classes in August 1997. I was nervous. Another year to get through in suburban Orland Park, IL where my family had migrated to just over a year ago. Most of that day was uneventful. To be honest I don't remember much of it. There was something different about 7th hour. As I sat down at my desk, I started to look around the room. A few familiar faces, a few knew ones. Mr. B was sitting on his desk in the far corner of the room, guitar in hand. For a moment I hesitated, wondering if I was in the wrong class. This was A.P. English, wasn't it? As I pulled out my schedule to check the room number, Mr. B welcomed us. It was A.P. English, and I will remember it as the best high school course I ever had.

That sunny afternoon in 1997, we began our senior year with song "These are the days" by the 10,000 Maniacs. It wasn't the first time I had heard it. But as the lyrics went on, a sense of confidence spread inside of me, and the walls of that class became my sanctuary for the rest of that year.

Listening to this song on the train again this morning, reminded of that sense of being content and confident I had once discovered in that classroom.

I long to return to that place again.

No comments: