May 17, 2010

Real Vacation

As I type this right now, I can hear a hundred different sounds outside my window. The wind, the bugs, and the waves. That's pretty much was Vieques sounds like all the time.

Ali and I flew into San Juan last night. This morning after an hour long cab ride and an hour long ferry ride, we finally walked on the island called Vieques. I was warned before I got here about the roosters, chickens and wild horses everywhere, but it still surprises me.

We were met at the ferry terminal by Ian, our gracious host, and drove to get our rental car. After unloading and freshening up at our fabulous "hotel" - actually its more like a little complex of condo units called "At The Waves" - we were off exploring the city in search of food and supplies.

As we were driving around looking for the super market, I saw the strangest thing. A store, with clothes and shoes mainly, a lady at the counter. The store front had a sign, in spanish of course, so I have no idea what it said. Next to the writing, theres a woman, covered in hijab along side a crescent and star. I did a double take. A Muslim clothing store, here on Vieques where only 10,000 people live? Seemed kind of unreal. I plan to swing by them tomorrow, so more on that later.

Ali and I finally did find the grocery store. We parked a block away, and started walking. As we cross the street, a truck that was passing by us stop. And the man driving motions for Ali to come near him. I was nervous, what the heck does he want with us? And then I hear the dude say to Ali:

"You speak spanish?" Ali: "NO." Man: "You feel comfortable here. If you need anything ask people." Ali: "Ok, thanks man." Man: "It's good to have you here, brother." And then he drove off.

Umm. What? Yea that's what I was thinking. Now that was a sharp contrast to the hospitality we received at a local restaurant later. First, let me tell you, this place was FILLED with American expats. I mean like the place was filled with people from all over the states. There was not one Puerto Rican in that room. And that room was cold. Just a hello and what would you like to eat. After trying to make conversation for a few minutes, I gave up. Thank god we had our order to go.

So we came back to our little prelude to heaven, and inhaled our lunch/dinner before we went for a walk along the beach in front of our place. It's the northern side of the island, so the sea is rougher, and the beach is pebbley. The sun was just beginning to set, and time was coming in. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. But I have a feeling, I'm going to see a lot of those this week.

More tomorrow... hopefully we actually get to swim on a beach (God willing) if there is no rain!

2 comments:

Villa said...

I got your message. Its hard to find a good blog with rich contents such as your's. I loved reading your story. I think you supply helpful info. Congratulations, and constantly posting to us.

Villa said...

nice blog...